Anil Kaul, Badminton Professional and Superstar
Anil Kaul, who lived in and attended high school in Cassiar 1977-1983 was
famous in Cassiar for his skill on the badminton court. He went on to lead a professional career in the sport and provided this summary for us. Way to go
After leaving Cassiar, I played and trained in Vancouver where I won many
Provincial titles as a junior and in the Open category.
Through badminton I have traveled the world and made many wonderful friends on
every continent. I still remember my start at the Cassiar School and
Cassiar Community Centre where it all started. I remember traveling to the
Polar Games, in Stewart, Fort Nelson, Whitehorse, etc. to compete in badminton
and all other sports. I owe a lot to the community of Cassiar and all the
people who supported me. My family always supported me throughout my
competitive years, and without them I am sure I would not have achieved all that
I have - I can never thank my brother Atul, my dad, and especially my mom,
enough for all that they did for me to realize my dreams.
- In 1987 I was on the Canadian Team for the Pan Am Championships (Peru) -
I won one Gold, one Silver and one Bronze.
- I played on Canada's National Team for about 10 years (1987-1997)
- I won a silver medal at the 1990 Commonwealth Games in Auckland, New
- I won 5 National Championships - three Mixed Doubles and two Men's Doubles
- I won a Gold and a Silver medal at the 1995 Pan Am Games - Argentina
- I represented Canada at the 1992 (Barcelona, Spain) and 1996 (Atlanta,
USA) Summer Olympic Games. We had to be ranked in the top 30 in the
world to get an invitation to the Olympics (being a National Champion did
not get you an invitation to the Olympics). I finished in the top 16 in both
- I finished top 16 in Mixed Doubles at the 1991 World Championships -
- I represented Canada at numerous World Championships and Team World
Anil has retired from competitive badminton and now works for a
pharmaceutical company in sales.
This page was last edited
Monday, February 02, 2015
below to access various sections of this site.
Use the Contact
Page (Home section) to contact webmaster Herb Daum.